Key Home Appliance Industry Statistics
- The global home appliance industry was worth $448 billion in 2020. That is a 32% increase from the previous year.
- The U.S. home appliance market generated $52.7 billion in revenue. That's almost 12% of the entire global market.
- There were 668 million appliances sold globally in 2020. This includes major appliances and small appliances.
- Out of the number of appliances sold in the world, 576.8 million of them were sold in the United States.
- In 2020, $33.12 billion worth of home appliances were imported to the United States.
- In the U.S. over 10% of homes have one or more smart appliances.
- Whirlpool, the largest appliance manufacturer in the U.S., generated over $19 billion revenue in 2020.
- Midea Group Co. Ltd, the global leader in appliance manufacturing, generated over $40.5 billion revenue in 2020.
- The refrigeration segment of home appliances brought in over $100 billion revenue - over 22% of the entire industry's revenue.
- There were over 8 million refrigerators sold in the U.S. in 2020.
- Small kitchen appliances generated $117 billion of the industry's total revenue.
- Microwaves account for around $11.2 billion revenue of the home appliance industry.
Home Appliance Industry Overview
|2020 Revenue||$448 billion|
|CAGR Over The Next 5 Years||>4%|
|Biggest Company In The Industry||Midea Group Co. Ltd|
|Midea Group Co. Ltd Annual Revenue||$40 billion|
|Annual Revenue Of Small Appliances Segment||$117 billion|
|Annual Revenue Of Major Appliances Segment||$331 billion|
|Number Of Home Appliances Sold In 2020||668 million|
Chapter 1: Global Home Appliance Industry Statistics
The home appliance industry has steadily been growing year after year. While the Covid-19 pandemic caused a widening of the supply and demand gap (but not necessarily a negative trend in overall growth), the market is bouncing back steadily. Keep reading for the most up-to-date statistics on this industry.
1. Midea Group Co. Ltd was the global leader in the manufacturing of home appliance sales with $40.5 billion in revenue in 2020.
Midea Group Co. Ltd has a presence in 195 countries and has 21 production facilities. Their products are considered the top of the line all around the world.
While they aren't the leaders in smart appliances, they are the leaders in traditional appliances and tend to set the standard across the market.
2. There were 668 million home appliances sold globally in 2020.
This number includes major appliances as well as small appliances with small appliances being the leader out of the two groups.
3. The global home appliance industry was worth $448 billion in 2020.
That is a 32% increase from the previous year.
However, one thing to keep in mind is the pandemic - sales in 2019 were stifled because of it.
4. Small kitchen appliances generated $117 billion of the industry's total revenue.
Although the pandemic stifled sales, the industry continued strong and may have benefited from the pandemic.
5. The estimated CAGR of the global home appliance market is >4% over the next 5 years.
The industry is expected to top $500 billion USD by 2023. A large reason for this is all the technological advancements that are being made to appliances, especially smart appliances.
Chapter 2: United States Home Appliance Industry Statistics
The United States is a major player in the home appliances industry. Most of the consumer end sales happen in the U.S.
It's interesting to note that the U.S. has the highest number of home appliances sold, but these sales were mostly small appliances.
While that's the majority of the global appliance sales, it's not the majority of the global revenue due to the lack of major appliance sales.
6. In 2020, the U.S. home appliance market generated $52.7 billion.
To put this in perspective, in 2020, the NFL brought in $12 billion USD and the home theater industry in the U.S. brought in $32.2 billion USD.
7. There were 576.8 million home appliances sold in the U.S. in 2020.
That's over 86% of the total home appliance sales in the world.
8. Of the appliances sold in the U.S. in 2020, around 56.6 million of them were major household appliances.
That means that small appliances are dominating the market by volume (not necessarily revenue).
9. Over 10% of American households have at least one smart appliance.
This may seem low, but 69% of American households have some type of smart technology - just not necessarily appliances. The percentage of homes with smart appliances is steadily growing.
American smart appliance owners make up 69% of the global smart appliance owners.
10. Whirlpool is the largest U.S.-based appliance manufacturer with an annual revenue of over $19 billion in 2020.
Whirlpool is a company in the home appliance industry that is dominating the industry, and is expected to continue growing year by year.
11. Over 74% of U.S. homes have a coffeemaker.
Out of this number, around 40% of them are single-serve coffeemakers.
12. Over 64% of U.S. homes have a dishwasher.
However, almost 20% of these households don't use the dishwasher.
Chapter 3: Statistics for Popular Major Appliances
Some appliances are extremely popular around the globe while others seem to be more regional. Looking at the statistics, it's easy to see that certain appliances are more valued in some countries than others and it's likely due to cultural differences.
13. Refrigerators are one of the top selling appliances.
Revenue from the global refrigerator segment of home appliances topped $100 billion.
14. There were over 8 million refrigerators sold in the U.S. in 2020.
While refrigerators aren't the top selling appliance in the United States, millions of them are sold every year by consumers all across the U.S.
15. As of 2021, it is estimated that almost 100% of households in the United States have a refrigerator and about 25% of them have two.
Around 99.1% of German households had a refrigerator. Around 98% of households in the U.K. had a refrigerator.
Around 88% of households in Mexico had a refrigerator. By contrast, only 33% of households in India have a refrigerator.
16. The major cooking appliances segment generated around $87.8 billion revenue in 2020.
Other major cooking appliances came close to the refrigerator revenue.
17. Over 90% of households in Brazil, Spain, the UK, Italy, Russia, Germany, Turkey, and Argentina own some type of cooker or oven.
Everyone has to eat, but despite this major cooking appliances aren't popular everywhere. By contrast, only about 50% of households in Japan own one.
18. In 2018, the global dishwasher market revenue was $6.29 billion.
Dishwashers aren't as popular as other major appliances and only contribute about 1.4% to the global home appliance revenue.
19. Dishwashers generate an average annual revenue of around $2 billion in the U.S.
That's only about 3.8% of the home appliance revenue for the United States, but about 31.8% of the total global dishwasher revenue.
20. In 2018, the Asia-Pacific region had a little over 31% of the market share of dishwasher sales.
This region beat out the U.S. by a very small, almost insignificant amount.
21. In 2018, around 49% of households in the UK had a dishwasher.
As of 2020, 72.3% of German households had a dishwasher and 60.8% of French households had a dishwasher. By contrast, less than 13% of Mexican households had a dishwasher and only 1% of Chinese households had a dishwasher.
22. The global washer/dryer market revenue as of 2020 is $58.7 billion.
Washers and dryers are very popular, but sales experienced quite a decline due to the pandemic.
23. The number of washer/dryer units sold globally in 2020 is 161 million.
Besides the pandemic year, washer/dryer sales have steadily continued to move in the positive direction over the last few years.
24. More than 80% of U.S. households own a washer and/or dryer, making washers and dryers very popular in the U.S.
In France, 94.2% of households have a washing machine and/or dryer.
In Germany, 96.4% of households have a washer and/or dryer.
In China, 94% of households have a washing machine but only one percent have dryers.
By contrast, only about 13% of households in India own a washing machine.
Chapter 4: Small Appliances Segment Statistics
The home appliance market is split into two segments - major appliances and small appliances. By dollar amount, small appliances make less revenue than major appliances.
However, this is simply due to the fact that small appliances cost less. In 2020, the number of small appliances sold globally was almost nine times the number of major appliances sold globally.
25. Coffeemakers are one of the top selling small appliances.
The estimated CAGR of the coffeemaker segment is 7.3% over the next five years.
26. Over 80% of households in Austria, Germany, France, Sweden and Spain owns a coffeemaker.
27. Only about 33% of households in Japan have a coffeemaker.
A lot of this has to do with the fact that tea is so popular in the Japanese culture.
However, coffee has slowly been making its mark there over the past few years.
28. In 2020, the U.S. coffee maker revenue was $668 million.
Across the pond, coffee is a major market in the United States.
29. The global microwave market generated $11.2 billion revenue in 2020.
Microwaves are popular in more developed countries.
30. The estimated CAGR of the microwave segment is 1.7% over next 5 years.
31. For the past decade, over 90% of homes in the U.S. have a microwave.
Microwaves are extremely popular in the United States. By contrast, only 4% of homes in India have a microwave.
32. The annual microwave revenue in the U.S. in 2020 was $3 billion.
33. In 2018, air fryers reached global revenue of $894.3 million.
Over the last decade, air fryers have been making their mark in the small appliance market.
34. The expected CAGR of the air fryer market is 6.1% over the next 5 years.
35. In 2019, U.S. air fryer revenue was $412 million.
The majority of air fryer sales occur in the United States.
Chapter 5: Top 6 Global Appliance Manufacturers
There are hundreds of appliance manufacturers in the world, but six of them dominate the market. These six are some of the most popular names out there and they own several smaller brands that people are familiar with. Here are some interesting statistics on each of these companies.
36. In 2020, Midea Group Co. Ltd's annual revenue was around $40.5 billion.
Launched in 1968 in Beijiaozhen, Foshan, China, Midea Group Co. Ltd is the global leader in appliance manufacturing. In fact, they manufacture parts and machines for many of the other leading appliance manufacturing companies.
37. Haier generated an annual revenue of $30 billion in 2020.
Haier is another Chinese company that had the second highest annual revenue in 2020. The company launched in Qingdao, China in 1984.
They acquired the popular U.S. brand, GE (just the appliances division) in 2016.
38. Whirlpool generated an annual revenue of over $19 billion in 2020.
Whirlpool, the top American appliance company, is third on the list for annual revenue. The company was launched in Benton Harbor, Michigan in 1911. Whirlpool owns many of the well-known American brands such as Maytag, Amana, and Jenn-Air.
39. LG's appliances generated the company an annual revenue of over $19 billion in 2020.
LG is a brand that was launched in Yeonji-dong, Busan, South Korea in 1958. LG is produces more than appliances. They produce a full line of electronics and are well known for their televisions.
40. In 2020, BSH Home Appliances had an annual revenue of $15.74 billion.
BSH Home Appliances is a German brand that has officially been in operation since 1972. BSH stands for Bosch and Siemens Hausgeräte. Many people are familiar with the Bosch and Siemens brands, rather than BSH.
41. In 2020, Electrolux generated $14.5 billion in revenue.
Electrolux was launched in Stockholm, Sweden in 1919. The name of the parent company is AB Electrolux of Sweden, but their American brand is simply known as Electrolux. This company acquired Frigidaire, a popular American brands.
Chapter 6: Fun Facts About the Home Appliance Industry
The evolution of appliances is an interesting topic. The same appliances that are used in homes today are the same ones that have been used since appliances have been developed - refrigerators, microwaves, vacuum cleaners, etc.
There are a few new items that have come out in recent years like the air fryer and the single-serve coffeemaker. What makes appliances stand out year after year is the technological upgrades that refresh these appliances and keep them modern.
42. In 2020, there were 195.1 million refrigerators sold globally.
Refrigerators bring in the most money of any type of appliance.
43. Single-door refrigerators are the most widely used door type around the globe.
However, the most popular type in the United States is the top freezer style. This is due to the low cost of these types of refrigerators.
44. Asia-Pacific is the leading region in home appliance manufacturing.
This is because three of the top six appliance companies in the world (including the top two) are in this region.
45. North America is the leading region in home appliance sales.
The United States is responsible for the majority of these sales.
46. In 2020, $33.12 billion worth of home appliances were imported to the United States.
The trend of imports has steadily gone up over the past decade, although there was a slight dip in 2019 due to the pandemic.
47. Whirlpool is the most popular washing machine brand in North America.
This is likely due to the fact that this company is one of the few remaining American-based appliance manufacturing companies. Besides the flagship brand, the company has 15 other brands under it's umbrella.
Chapter 7: Smart Appliances Facts & Statistics
Smart appliances are changing the appliance industry phenomenally. Many manufacturers are ahead of the game when it comes to this major technological advancement.
However, there is a clear difference in the companies that are doing it well and the companies that are not. Here are some interesting bits of information about this segment of home appliances.
48. Smart appliances only made up about 7% of the total global home appliance revenue in 2020.
However, analysts expect this market segment to grow exponentially over the next few years.
49. Only 3.4% of households worldwide owned a smart appliance in 2020.
50. One of the world's first commercially-available (and successful) smart appliances was the Electrolux Trilobite ZA1.
This was a robotic vacuum cleaner that was released in 2001.
51. The first version of the Trilobite did not have infrared sensors.
However, the second version, the ZA2 (Mark 2) had these sensors which kept the robot from bumping into most things or falling down stairs.
52. In 2002, a private company called iRobot released a robotic vacuum cleaner that was much better than the Tribolite.
Since then, iRobot has become the world's most popular smart vacuum cleaner. They've released dozens of improved versions and robotic mops over the years.
53. Founded by Massachusetts Institute of Technology roboticists in 1990, iRobot had already been manufacturing robots for space exploration and marine exploration.
54. The smart refrigerator market reached an annual revenue of around $2.5 billion in 2021.
This market segment is expected to see exponential growth over the next few years.
55. One of the world's first smart refrigerators, the Internet Digital DIOS, was released by LG in 2000.
It was unsuccessful because of the cost ($20,000).
56. In 2021, Haier revealed their new Internet of Food smart refrigerator.
This appliance is compliant with 22 Chinese national and IEC standards. It features a host of smart features, including facial, voice, and image recognition to identify individual family members.
57. The Internet of Food smart refrigerator will have the ability to stream cooking lessons from professional chefs.
58. The smart washing machine market was valued at around $4.9 billion in 2019.
The expected CAGR of these washing machines over the next several years is a whopping 20.5%.
59. Front-load smart washing machines make up over 54% of the annual revenue of smart washing machines.
They are popular due to their large capacity and energy efficiency.
60. Out of the front-load smart washing machines sold in 2019, the most popular size was the 6-10 kg capacity machines.
These made up over 65% of front-load smart washing machine sales.
61. China has the largest share of the smart washing machine market at 59.6%.
62. North America has the second largest share of the smart washing machine market at 26 percent.
You've just read some of the most interesting and up-to-date statistics about the home appliance industry. If you have more questions or any request, please reach out to us at [email protected].