Learn how to paint a house in our step-by-step guide.
Are you considering painting a room in your home or even your entire home?
This can be a difficult thing to deal with because it isn't just one or two decisions that have to be made.
We realize this about painting your house, and we have compiled this ultimate guide to painting a house to help you get through the entire process from start to finish.
You'll find helpful hints on what type of color you should paint, answers to questions you might have, and even how-to guides on how to paint different parts in your home.
Keeping all of this in mind, let's get started on your journey to painting your home!
Questions To Ask Yourself Before You Start
Even before you get started on painting your house, there are several questions that you should ask yourself to ensure that you are prepared as possible for the project.
Q: What rooms and things, like counters, ext will need to be painted in your project?
A: You should figure out exactly what you want to be done and what you will need for the project to be completed. This is important because you cannot go forward with your project without knowing the answer.
Q: Should I self paint my home or hire professionals?
A: Depending on the size of your project and the budget that you have to work with, hiring a professional might be an excellent option. However, if it is a small project or you have the skill and time to complete the project on your own, you might opt to do it yourself. Honestly, either of these choices is valid. You just have to weigh the pros and cons of each to see which is better for you.
Q: What types of tools will best suit your painting needs?
A: If you choose to paint your home yourself, this is an important question. There are many tools you could use from paint sprayers to traditional paintbrushes and rollers. Depending on your skill level, the types of tools you should use may vary.
Hiring Experienced Professional Painters
When thinking about painting your home, you should consider if you want to take on the task yourself or if you would be better off hiring professional painters to come and do the job. Depending on the size of the project and the project's budget, it could be worthwhile to look into hiring an experienced professional painter.
However, you need to ensure that if you do hire someone that they are professionals. Ask for references and see what other people have said about their work, demeanor, and professionalism.
You should make sure that you shop around for the best professional painter possible, and you should ask for quotes from the different painters to see which one will provide you with the best rates. There are a few things that you should ask them and get the answers to before making your final decision on a painter.
- How much will it cost?
- When will they be able to get started on the job?
- Does the quote include the paint and supplies needed for the job?
- How long will the job take once started?
Only agree to hire a professional painter if you are satisfied with the answers that they give, and you should make sure to sign a contract with them with the spoken terms to ensure that you get everything you spoke about when inquiring about your job. After all, you are paying them for a service, and you deserve to get the best service possible.
Picking A Color
This might seem like an easy choice, but for so many people this choice is by far the hardest part of painting a home. Some colors look different depending on the type of surface, and different colors go better in different rooms.
For instance, in a living room, kitchen, or sunroom, light and vibrant colors are an excellent choice. Whereas, other rooms like bedrooms could use a darker color to provide a soothing atmosphere for sleep and relaxation.
There are various shades of colors that you might consider when making your final choices. When picking the color for your home, you also want to take into consideration your furniture because this can also determine the shades and paint colors that will look best in your home, along with the type of flooring that you have in the rooms you are going to be painted. You should really use a color wheel that will give you an idea of what colors work well together.
Then when you are getting ready to paint and decorate, there is a special rule that you should use to help pick the colors: 60-30-10. What does this mean? In any room, you want 60%, mainly the walls, to be done in a dominant color. 30% should be a secondary color that the upholstery should be done in, and the last 10% should be an accent color that you want to use in the room's accessories.
Tools And Materials You’ll Need
Some people think that when you start painting a house all you need is a can of paint and a paintbrush, but there are many other tools that you need to do an effective paint job in your home.
Paintbrushes/Rollers or Paint Sprayer: The first tool you need to concern yourself with is the type of method you are going to use to paint your house. Paintbrushes and rollers are cheaper, but they also take longer to do the job and require 2 or more coats to look efficient.
Painting Tape: Painting tape is an important part of the painting process because it helps to keep the paint from getting on surfaces that you don't want to paint, like ceilings and floorings.
Paint: Choose the type of paint that will best suit your needs and the color that will be pleasing in the rooms you wish to paint.
Sandpaper: This will help to smooth out the walls to ensure that the new coat of paint will hold smoothly to the walls.
Tarps: If you are going to be painting with furniture still in the room, tarps are a necessity to help keep paint from getting on any of the furniture that is not moved out of the room.
Drop Cloths: These are special cloths that are used to wipe away spray paint, as needed.
Stepping stool or paint roller extension pole: These are essential if you are using a paintbrush/roller to do your painting because they will allow you to reach higher areas on the walls near the ceiling without strain.
When To Paint The House
Generally speaking, a home should be repainted every 7 to 10 years on the outside, and on the inside, it could last for 10 to 20 years if maintained properly. If you are planning on painting the exterior of your home, you really need to think about the weather. In most areas, early summer and early fall are the best times in the year to paint a house because these times have the best favorable weather conditions.
Whether you are painting inside or outside of your home, the weather is not the only thing you have to take into account. You also have to consider the temperature of the area you are painting. Different types of paint react better in different temperatures. For instance, oil-based paint should be applied between 40 and 90 degrees F, but latex paint is best applied between 50 and 85 degrees F.
However, if you are wanting to paint your interior walls, then winter generally provides the best conditions because the environment has less humidity. Why is this good? Humidity can result in interior paint cracking or peeling off the walls in the future, which means you would have to repaint sooner than desired.
Costs of Exterior Painting
There are a few things that need to be considered when figuring out how much it will cost to have the exterior of your home painted. For an average size house, the price can range between $1,750 to $4,300. However, there is a large difference between these two numbers and there are several factors that will determine which price.
- Size of the house
- Exterior wall material
- Number of stories
- Garage or no garage
All of these things should be considered when painting your home's exterior because they will all determine the cost that it will take. Regardless if you plan on painting the house yourself or hiring someone to do it for you, these factors will all have to be considered. If you plan on doing the job yourself, you might want to look into getting yourself a decent paint sprayer, which makes it easier to paint outside, but you will have to pick and choose when you are going to do your painting.
This might be an expensive part of the painting, but if you get a quality paint sprayer, you could use it for a variety of different project, and as long as it has been maintained, paint sprayers can last for years, which will help to cut down on future painting costs.
Tips And Tricks For Painting A House
Painting a house has plenty of tips and tricks that you can use to ensure that your walls look professional. Here are a few of those tips and tricks that we have come to use and be helpful.
Figure out what type of paint is on existing walls.
The way you can determine what type of paint you will be painting over is to use a cotton ball and soak it in rubbing alcohol. After you have done this, rub the ball on a small surface of the wall, and if the ball has paint residue on it, then the existing walls are painted with latex paint. However, if it comes off clean, you will need to use an oil-based primer before you paint.
Make sure you use the right primer.
Water-based primer is designed to help hide any imperfections that new drywall might have, but if you are planning on painting water-damaged, smoke-saturated walls, or paneling, then you should opt to use an oil-based primer because it will hold onto the wall's surface easier.
Never allow your paint to dry out.
Depending on the size of your painting project, you might not be able to finish it in a single day, and if you are losing latex paint, you could risk losing half your paint if you don't close it properly. Therefore, here is a simple trick that you can use to keep your paint can from drying out between uses. You can place plastic wrap under the lid and seal it tightly upside down to help keep the latex paint from drying out, or you can drop golf balls into the paint to help fill the air space in the paint can.
Modify your paint stirrer.
The standard paint stirrer is just a long wooden stick, and although this will stir the paint, you should modify the stirrer by poking holes in it, which will allow the paint to flow through the stirrer, acting more like a whisk helping to mix the paint evenly.
How To Paint Walls
Here are the steps you should take when planning to paint the walls inside of your home.
1. You should nail down your vision of what you want the room to look like when it is finished, and choose the colors that you want to use for the walls, ceiling, and baseboards.
2. Figure out which type of painting tools and materials you are going to need for the project, including how much paint it will take for the entire project. Here are a few other materials you might not think to get:
- Painter's tape
- Putty knife
3. Prepare the room and walls for painting. In this step, you should remove all furniture from the room, and if you are unable to remove it, you should have it properly covered with tarps to avoid any splatter from getting on it. This also goes for anything that you might not want to paint the same color as the walls, such as cabinets and counters.
4. Open your paint cans and stir them with a wooden stirrer. You should remember to stir your paint often throughout the entire project to ensure that the color remains vibrant and to keep it from drying and clumping up.
5. Research and figure out which tools and techniques you plan on using, and you need to make sure that you will have some sort of ventilation measures taken in the room you are painting. However, if you are opening windows, you should make sure that the outside weather will not bring in unnecessary humidity.
6. Clean up. After you are finished for the day if you are using rollers and latex paint, you can wrap them in plastic wrap instead of fully washing out the brushes because latex paint takes a long while to dry. Once you are done with the project, however, you will want to thoroughly clean out all of the tools you have used. You can remove the painter's tape and gather up any clothes that might have gotten paint on them and get them washed.
How To Paint Countertops
Once your walls are done painting, here are the steps you will want to use to paint the countertops in the rooms.
1. Prepare the work area. You should use painter's tape and plastic sheeting to cover anything you don't want paint on and painter's tape along the walls and cabinets to make sure the paint doesn't move from the countertops to other places.
2. Make sure that the surface is cleaned thoroughly. You will want to use some sort of degreasing cleaner to ensure that everything is removed, and then let it fully dry.
3. Use 150-grit sandpaper to help paint adhere to the countertops. Wear protective gear to cover your eyes and mouth. Then, wipe down the countertops with a damp rag to get rid of the dust and let it dry.
4. You will want to then apply two coats of primer before letting it dry and applying 2 coats of the desired paint color.
5. Use a sealer to apply a finish to the countertops.
How To Paint Cabinets (Kitchen And Bathroom Cabinets)
Cabinets can be made from different types of materials, and it is important to know what type of material your cabinets are made from. Once you know, you can follow these steps to paint any cabinets in your bathroom, kitchen, or other parts of the home.
1. Prep the area. This is a lot like painting anything else in your house. Use painter's tape and tarps or plastic sheeting to cover anything that you do not want to get paint on. If there are any drawers you will want to remove them and take down the doors from the cabinets, as well.
2. Clean down the cabinets, drawers, and doors with warm water and a degreaser to ensure that everything will be able to hold the paint to it with ease.
3. Sand and patch any nicks that might be found in the cabinets, drawers, or doors. This is important to ensure that the new coat of paint will not have any of these blemishes. Once you are done sanding, you will need to wipe down the surfaces with a damp cloth to ensure all dust is removed from the surface.
4. Next, it is time to use your primer. However, it is important to make sure that it dries fully before getting ready to add the paint coats.
5. You will want to apply the first coat of paint, and then you will wait 24 hours to allow the paint to dry or cure before applying your second coat.
6. After everything has dried, it is now time to reassemble the cabinets and replace all of the doors and drawers to their rightful place.
Insights and Takeaways
When you decide to paint your house, you need to remember one thing. It is your house and there isn't really a right or wrong way or color for you to paint your house in. You are the one that has to live with your choices, and therefore, you should take your time when making decisions to ensure you will not regret the choices you make.
However, you can always solicit advice from friends, family, and experts to help make sure you know what it is you want. As long as you are happy with the end results, that is all that matters. You should always consider who is going to do the painting of the house and what types of tools you want the painters to use, whether it is you or professionals.