Learn exactly how to use a Shark steam mop to leave dirty floors spotless.
In this article, you’ll find useful and actionable tips on how to use the Shark Steam Mop to leave your floors and carpets spotless.
Compared to other mop brands like Bona, Shark's mops tend to be more powerful.
One of the most popular steam mops is the Shark Steam Mop. It delivers a powerful and natural clean to help you tackle your cleaning chores.
Here’s a video that will show you how to use the Shark steam mop.
According to new decluttering statistics, 54% of Americans said that they felt overwhelmed with clutter filling up their homes.
If you're looking for an easy and quick way to declutter and organize your home, then you've come to the right place.
Below is a step-by-step guide of how to use the Shark Steam Mop to leave your floors spotless. Keep reading.
How to Use a Shark Steam Mop: Overview
- Sweep or vacuum the floor to remove loose dry dirt and debris that might scratch the floor
- Prepare your steam cleaner
- Fill the water tank with water
- Switch your steam mop on and let it heat up the water for 30 seconds
- Pump the handle 3-4 times to dampen the cleaning cloth
- Choose a cleaning mode depending on how much cleaning needs to be done
- Consistently clean the floor in a back and forth pattern
- After you finished cleaning, unplug the steam mop
- Let the cloth cool off before removing it from the unit
|Step 1||Sweep or vacuum the floor|
|Step 2||Prepare your steam cleaner|
|Step 3||Fill the water tank with water|
|Step 4||Switch the Shark steam mop on, let water heat up|
|Step 5||Pump the handle 3-4 times|
|Step 6||Choose a cleaning mode|
|Step 7||Clean the floor in a back and forth pattern|
|Step 8||Unplug the steam mop after you finish cleaning|
|Step 9||Let the cloth cool off before removing it|
How To Use a Shark Steam Mop On Hardwood Flooring
Hardwood floors retain their beautiful look and serve you for decades if you take proper care of them.
But, they’re vulnerable to moisture. Most manufacturers say that you shouldn’t use their products on hardwood surfaces.
On the other hand, Shark claims just the opposite. Here are easy-to-follow steps that will teach you how to steam mop on hardwood floors.
- Make sure your hardwood floors are sealed.
- Use a microfiber pad with a high absorption level to thoroughly dry the surface.
- For gentle and smooth cleaning, choose a gentle dusting setting on your steam mop.
- Avoid using chemicals to clean with that could break the hardwood floor sealant barrier or even damage the floor itself.
How To Mop Laminate Floors With a Shark Steam Mop
Steam mops are usually designed for cleaning sealed hard floors. This includes tile, vinyl, stone, and varnished wood floors.
You shouldn’t use a steam mop to clean laminate floors. This is because water is the laminate’s enemy.
Water can cause planks to warp and find its way through tight seams, cracks, and crevices.
Despite this cleaning conflict, Shark Steam Mops can be used to naturally clean laminate floors.
- Move your mop over laminate floors the same way you would with an ordinary mop.
- Clean the floor in sections.
- To produce dry steam that won’t leave any spots on your laminate floor, set your steam mop for maximum heat temperature and the least amount of water.
- Mop along the planks of the floor and stay with the grain.
How To Clean Your Carpets With a Shark Steam Mop
With a Shark Steam Mop, vacuum the carpet to pick up dust and to dry debris before mopping.
Then, vacuum the carpet after you finish steaming to remove any loose dirt.
If your carpet has any tough wine stains, use some carpet shampoo before mopping to remove those stains for good.
Shark Steam Mop Maintenance Tips
If you want to level up your steam mopping skills, then follow these simple tips on how to properly take care and use your Shark Steam Mop:
- Don’t turn on the unit when the water tank is empty. This will prevent the steam mop from overheating.
- To prevent excessive heat buildup, don’t let the mop run by itself without moving it.
- Never store your steam mop with a dirty or damp cleaning pad.
- Immediately after every cleanup, wash the mop cloth in a washer to keep it clean.
- Store your mop in a hanging position with the cleaning head removed.
Shark Pro Steam Pocket Mop Manual
Here’s the official Shark Steam Mop manual. It’s full of important safety instructions and directions on how to properly and efficiently use the Shark Pro Steam Pocket Mop.
The Best Steam Mops In-Depth Review
To help you pick the best steam mops, we also wrote an in-depth and unbiased review on the best steam mops.
In that review, you’ll find the 7 best steam mops, and you’ll learn how steam mops work, the benefits of using them, and how to choose the best steam mop for you.
Using A Vacuum Mop To Clean Dirty Floors
We recently reviewed powerful vacuum mops to help you choose the best vacuum and mop combo on the market.